Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Website and Forum improvement  (Read 2058 times)

Rekuja

Website and Forum improvement
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
Hey guys.

As most of you know, Hellion is currently using an SMF build for the home page and forums. This decision was based on the costs and Venom's past experience with the build. Although SMF is very limited, it does have some very useful mods that we have installed in the past (and some that completely break the forums)

:rek:

My original intention was to go for a vBulletin build, unfortunately that is a very expensive alternative, especially for something like a guild website where we don't really need any fancy features to be completely honest.

Thoughts?

My question to you guys is, are you happy with the website? do you feel some changes should be made to the home page? I understand the home page can be pretty cluttered and sometimes even create a scrollbar if your resolution is too small... this problem is very aggravating for me but unfortunately there's not much I can do with the size dimensions, I've already changed the width and height of the home page numerous times to make it feel compact and easy on the eyes.

Our home page is also very hard to use for Android and OS devices, I've done some research on this and SMF does indeed have a mobile version, but this is very time consuming and full of numerous bugs and errors, unfortunately I have no plans to make a mobile version of Hellion. It is highly recommended to use Mozilla Firefox for the best experience, having said that, I am slowly making changes for Google Chrome users.

Improvements

I have removed the Voice Chat block on the home page because I felt it was pointless and creating more clutter, especially when our Teamspeak info shouldn't really be advertised, we don't want randoms joining and making everyone uncomfortable.

I have considered removing the User Info, Recent Posts and Who's Online sections, My intention was to have the home page only show News, Recruitment, and Raid Schedule blocks. By removing those 3 sections we eliminate the scrolling and resolution issue, it'll also help mobile users a little... having said that, I understand people really like those blocks so I won't be removing them anytime soon.

If you have any good suggestions, please post them in this thread and I will try my best to make it a possibility. My main concern right now is the home page, I believe the forums are perfectly fine (excluding the banner situation).

My intention, as mentioned previously.. is to have the home page like a legitimate portal theme, where we have Hellion news on the front page with shortcuts to view important information (raid schedules, recruitment, etc) but I need to make changes so we can eliminate the side-scrollbar.

Cheers,
Rekuja

Offline Wales

• Holmgang Holmgang
Re: Website and Forum improvement
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
I hate forum portals with an absolute passion and always bookmark the forum proper. Do as you wish imo  :sun:

Rekuja

Re: Website and Forum improvement
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »
Me too, this is why I'm thinking the portal could be News only, pictures of bosses downed, videos of our events, etc.. then I could create a button at the bottom for Recruitment so new players know exactly where to go...

I too, bookmark forums only on most of my sites

lmao.