Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gaming and gender  (Read 108538 times)

Offline Baneus

Gaming and gender
« on: June 20, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
Was having a discussion on another forum ref. gender discrimination and perception in gaming. Which led to the following two things:

and

Guys I got this new streaming idea here it is:

I play games but have a webcam pointed directly at my balls. It'll be called the "lava lamp gaming stream" because viewers can either watch the game I'm playing or watch my balls float up and down like a lava lamp. Our a little bit of both. If subscribers pay me enough I'll write their name on my goods in sharpie.

So what do you think? Pretty sure I'm gonna be rolling in dough by the end of the month no doubt.

-Shamannii

To me, personally, a gamer is a gamer regardless of gender and I judge people more on their attitude than anything else.

Thoughts?
I'm just saying that by any sane metric, Gendo Ikari is the best dad in the universe.

Offline Tigerlilley

• #1 PS4
  • Administrator
Re: Gaming and gender
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:19:52 PM »
Wow that girl on the right reminds me of no one >.>

:cripes:

Offline Min Kim

• Meow
  • Big Fat Cat Venom
  • Yeahnah
    • Hellion
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 12:23:06 PM »
"Fuck a duck" - Tiger 2014
Main: Venom Reginam
Alt: Venom Vipera
Alt: Venom Tertia

Offline Min Kim

• Meow
  • Big Fat Cat Venom
  • Yeahnah
    • Hellion
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »
My thoughts is that there are no differences in any of the genders playing games. I literally don't care if the stranger I'm interacting with is male/female as long as they're GCs.

Offline Sectiplave

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
I've had an interesting discussion with a friend who did a paper on gender discrimination in online gaming while studying psychology.

Much of it comes back to the anonymity of the the online world, but in general once a gamer revealed herself a female (Males are largely skeptical until confirmed via voice comms) they generally got treated extremely poorly, lots of sexist comments and/or derogatory comments. Much more so than the male gamers in the volunteer groups who interacted with other players in a similar fashion.

I'll see if I can find the work, I'm fairly sure it was published.

Offline Min Kim

• Meow
  • Big Fat Cat Venom
  • Yeahnah
    • Hellion
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
It's no secret that the typical male keyboard/game warrior are mostly all assholes.
We've even had one of those in our FC at one point.

*COUGH*FU*COUGH*FU*COUGH*

Offline Tigerlilley

• #1 PS4
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
It's no secret that the typical male keyboard/game warrior are mostly all assholes.
We've even had one of those in our FC at one point.

*COUGH*FU*COUGH*FU*COUGH*

"Yeah you must find this game really difficult, you know, because you're a girl"

Actual words spoken.

Offline Min Kim

• Meow
  • Big Fat Cat Venom
  • Yeahnah
    • Hellion
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
I was genuinely amazed that there were someone that would say something like that. And to someone else's face/presence too.

Offline Tigerlilley

• #1 PS4
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »
For reals I am not the strongest player by any means but when that was said I was PS3 with next level NZ latency so I was effectively running 1st coil with you guys on Hard Mode... and not often having any issues.

MFW.

Offline Min Kim

• Meow
  • Big Fat Cat Venom
  • Yeahnah
    • Hellion
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
Yes, I mean he was a real gem and a gentleman in every other way right?
 :colbert:

Offline Wales

• Holmgang Holmgang
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
He was very sorry, as I recall.

Offline Min Kim

• Meow
  • Big Fat Cat Venom
  • Yeahnah
    • Hellion
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 01:06:55 PM »

Offline Da Jebs

• KWest
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 01:10:51 PM »
Wales, I know he was your best friend, but there is no need for you to stand up for that.

Offline Wales

• Holmgang Holmgang
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »
I think you guys missed the reference. He apologized to a few of our number such that the apologies themselves became a problem. This was usually directly after he was called out on his bullshit.

Offline Tigerlilley

• #1 PS4
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 01:25:17 PM »
I think Eno was being sarcastic :P

Offline Sectiplave

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
It's no secret that the typical male are mostly all assholes toward women.
FTFY

I'm by no means a feminist, and I believe in a slightly more realistic approach to male and female equality, but it's not even remotely limited to gamers/online world :)

That generalist stuff aside, I'm guilty of discriminating against male players, I find I am more inclined to help female players / spend the time to converse with them. And believe it or not this isn't motivated by being socially inept, lonely or being unable to speak with women in real life etc. :D I would have to have external analysis to find out why because I cannot find a clear motivation for this behaviour myself.

Offline Tigerlilley

• #1 PS4
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
I was standing in Mor Dhona the other day and someone was shouting in the shoutbox "Megan Lastname is hot! Message her!"

I just thought, wow. That's it right there. Getting "outed" as a girl is the worse than Titan plumes. Except for Hellion, most people assume I'm a dude and I don't often correct them because this behavior is too common.

It's pretty easy to hide in Final Fantasy though. Guys play girl characters with guy names, everyone is a cat or a lala so gender is pretty much completely ambiguous unless you know the person.

Or, unless you're Megan in Mor Dhona who was probably just minding her own fucking business.

Offline Min Kim

• Meow
  • Big Fat Cat Venom
  • Yeahnah
    • Hellion
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »
I think this goes in real life too.
I think I saw/read/watched somewhere that most guys would stop their car to help out a female (of any age) than a male if they see them with broken-down vehicle on the side of the road.

Offline Min Kim

• Meow
  • Big Fat Cat Venom
  • Yeahnah
    • Hellion
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 01:38:40 PM »
I was standing in Mor Dhona the other day and someone was shouting in the shoutbox "Megan Lastname is hot! Message her!"

I just thought, wow. That's it right there. Getting "outed" as a girl is the worse than Titan plumes. Except for Hellion, most people assume I'm a dude and I don't often correct them because this behavior is too common.

It's pretty easy to hide in Final Fantasy though. Guys play girl characters with guy names, everyone is a cat or a lala so gender is pretty much completely ambiguous unless you know the person.

Or, unless you're Megan in Mor Dhona who was probably just minding her own fucking business.

SHIT I was there for that too and I remember having a lot of thoughts about the same sort of thing...

Offline Sectiplave

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »

Yeah that's pretty shit! And yeah Venom it's been shown many times most people will on some level treat each gender slightly differently.

It shouldn't matter in itself really, but it REALLY shouldn't matter if they are found to be physically attractive or not. Though again studies have shown that attractive people will be more likely to receive assistance than those who are deemed to be ugly. We humans can be pretty shallow at the best of times.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:44:24 PM by Sectiplave »

Offline Tigerlilley

• #1 PS4
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »
My tactic is to beat them at their own game. For example, someone was trolling saying I had a "fat girl" name.

I was like, "yea bro, wider than I am tall, could park a bus in my back rolls"

Guys usually have no where to go from there. It's a good strategy.

Offline Falconia

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »
Could just be a troll. Pretty sure there are a lot of randoms out there that think venom and I are chicks lol.

Offline Min Kim

• Meow
  • Big Fat Cat Venom
  • Yeahnah
    • Hellion
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
There are a CRAZY amount of players that think I'm a girl. The tells I get...

Offline Sectiplave

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »
Yeah I knew someone who had a WoW character he gave a feminine name and character was female and he pretended that he was just for shits and giggles. His experience was that he could get assistance with dungeons amazingly quick compared to his regular character,  as his guild believed he was female. He also got lots of freebies whenever he asked for help / complained about being poor. Also had lots of guys hitting on him via tell asking for private chats, pictures etc.

Pretty fucking creepy that you get such invasive attention.

Offline Min Kim

• Meow
  • Big Fat Cat Venom
  • Yeahnah
    • Hellion
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
Yeah I know all about this.
My ex's brother used to do the same thing in any game he played.
When I asked him why, he said that most guys in-game will just give him money and everything that he wants/needs.

Also yeah, the amount of invasive creepiness is astonishing. Like I said, you should have a look at all the tells I get... I just ignore all of it though and carry on my business of being a fucking badass.