Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Empyrion - Galactic Survival  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Baneus

Empyrion - Galactic Survival
« on: October 01, 2015, 12:25:43 PM »
http://empyriongame.com/

This has been chewing up my time lately. It's like a cross between Space Engineers and Minecraft. Despite being a pre-alpha release, there is still an absolute shitload to do. The current release has a complete solar system with 4 planets 2 moons, an asteroid field and some randomly generated enemies on all of those things. You can start on one of two planets, Omicron (the original single starter planet, no breathable atmosphere) or Akua (breathable atmosphere, earthlike) with only yourself and a damaged escape pod with starting resources on board.

Where you start on a planet, and what resources/enemies exist depends on your start seed (like a Minecraft world seed). I'm using seed 8463, which gave me a huge boost as I started on Akua near an alien tower with a generator and loot that I took over.

I'm just saying that by any sane metric, Gendo Ikari is the best dad in the universe.

Offline Sectiplave

Re: Empyrion - Galactic Survival
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
I have one question, online required to play at all? I could easily see myself spending a lot of time on something like this.

Offline Baneus

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 04:00:53 PM »
Nah, single player works fine offline (at this stage, remember, it's pre-alpha, so a lot could change). Multiplayer is still glitchy as hell, but you can run a private server, same as you can in MC.
I'm just saying that by any sane metric, Gendo Ikari is the best dad in the universe.

Offline Sectiplave

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 06:13:57 PM »
Good I'd probably just tool around SP on the laptop or something, cannot be arsed with servers only etc.

Looks dangerous time wise, I'll consider it if I find myself bored of the 4 different games I'm playing at the moment lol.

Offline Sectiplave

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
Damn you Bane! I started playing this on Saturday, 8 hours later I was still mucking around on the starter planet and dreaming up how I wanted to build my small vessel. Add me on Steam (Sectiplave) I'll be keen to check out what you've been building and get ideas for what I want to build.

For pre-alpha I can certainly see potential in this game. They look pretty open to player modding too so the longevity could be amazing, I'd certainly like to see some machines to automate farming and mining to a degree like modded minecraft.

Current project is building a SV loosely based around this design; http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120110023_NightScytheNEW01.jpg

Offline Baneus

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:32:35 PM »
lol, I started building a thing

Offline Sectiplave

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »
I'm currently waiting until Pre-alpha 4.x to build a Capital Vessel. I've got the same problem with Empyrion as I do with minecraft where I don't enjoy building things in creative anywhere near as much as in survival where I feel I have really worked to build it.

I'm taking a small break until 4.x lands then I'll be back in testing out a few ideas I have with building underground bases, I really hope there will be second tier digging lasers down the line to speed that side of things up.

Offline Baneus

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 07:08:16 PM »
So what has Baneus been doing (apart from doing everything in Fallout except the main quest line)?

This

http://empyriononline.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-empyrion-today.2826/page-7#post-28300

Offline Sectiplave

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 07:27:07 PM »
Ummm please tell me that was built in creative.... it's MASSIVE, nice work man!

Offline Baneus

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 12:16:36 AM »
Yeah, Creative. It's still 12 hours total work and almost at the current game limit for size :)