Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lightning Returns: FF13-3  (Read 8735 times)

Offline Wales

• Holmgang Holmgang
Lightning Returns: FF13-3
« on: February 17, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
Is anyone else playing the new FF game? I'm enjoying it so far, I'm maybe halfway through the game.

It is a solid iteration on the previous two games - not linear like the first, but not so horribly fragmented as the second. It features 5 main story quests tied two four different areas (two cities and two open spaces) that you can pursue in any order (theoretically...one of the bosses is Pretty Darn Hard, I got stuck on him), and a piecemeal as you like.

Solid combat system, quite similar to the first game but more fluid. You switch between gear sets, which grant you different stat modifiers. I personally run a physical, magical and red mage system, but you can do any combination really. The equipment designs are very cool too, and there are a lot of different aesthetic accessories so there is a bit of fun to have fashion wise too (first/field set is a black suit, suave glasses and a Behemoth's sword, very cool).

It also has the advantage of not having Serah as a main character, because fuck she was boring. Lightning isn't exactly emotive (in fact, this is a major plot point explained early on), but she is a good protag.

If you liked either of the first two games, you'll probably enjoy this one, though I recommend being acquainted with the plot of both if you want the story to have much impact on you.

Offline Tigerlilley

• #1 PS4
  • Administrator
Re: Lightning Returns: FF13-3
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »
I loved the first two and acquired the nickname Lightning at work since I talked about them so much so can't wait to get my hands on this one.
Is Snow or Vanille around? They were my favourites too

Offline Wales

• Holmgang Holmgang
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »
Both feature in some capacity. The main cast of both games all seem to be making appearances so far. I am loath to say much more, in fear of spoiling anything. Snow features very early on.

Offline bottlebug

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »
I gave up at the trash mobs before the final boss in the first game cause that damn motorbike thing kept exploding or something.

Offline Tigerlilley

• #1 PS4
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:17:03 AM »
Argh the set builds. I'm torn between what looks good, matches color scheme and what the actual stats are :(
#girlgamerproblems

Offline Wales

• Holmgang Holmgang
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 08:26:05 AM »
....yeah, those problems sound familiar.  :sun:  I definitely rejected a few upgrades because they looked bad! Once I figure out that you could change equipment away from the default colour, that made a world of difference.

Offline Peach

• #1 Altaholic
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »
This is the only outfit you will ever need.

Offline G.Vash

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 01:02:50 PM »
I've only made it about 2-3 hours in so far. So not very far at all (currently looking for numbers on walls etc to get into some place).
I like the idea of the game, the visuals are nice, but for some reason have been unable to really commit to it yet and I bought the game on release :/

Offline Wales

• Holmgang Holmgang
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 01:16:51 PM »
What the hell is that Jess?! DLC?

Offline Peach

• #1 Altaholic
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 02:06:34 PM »
yea :D its like $8ish. i plan on getting it once i get up to LR. currently finishing off 13 :( :cat:

Rekuja

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
god that's.... wtf is that...

:puke:

Offline Tigerlilley

• #1 PS4
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 01:09:33 AM »
I've only made it about 2-3 hours in so far. So not very far at all (currently looking for numbers on walls etc to get into some place).
I like the idea of the game, the visuals are nice, but for some reason have been unable to really commit to it yet and I bought the game on release :/

I'm up to this part too but I messed around and got ported back to the ark. Does that mean that day is over? I wasn't finished saving everyone yet. Can I not go back?

Offline Wales

• Holmgang Holmgang
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 08:17:03 AM »

I'm up to this part too but I messed around and got ported back to the ark. Does that mean that day is over? I wasn't finished saving everyone yet. Can I not go back?

No, you can totally go back (its effectively impossible to finish that quest on the first day). You'll need to wait until 6pm the next day to resume your number hunt though afaik, spend that time in another city.

Offline Tigerlilley

• #1 PS4
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 10:42:53 AM »
But there is a day countdown... does that use up my days?

I have to tell you Wales, I am struggling with this game... it's failing to suck me in like 13 and 13-2 did. Also, Lightning runs funny.

Offline Wales

• Holmgang Holmgang
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
I'll admit isn't the most riveting plot in existence, but I enjoyed it. The main stories are pretty good.

Yes, the days will count down. But honestly, don't sweat the days - I finished all the main stories and the majority of the side quests with like 4 days to spare. A friend of mine playing on Easy had 5 spare. If you're worried, save at the beginning of each day for your peace of mind. I found it helped a lot, even though I never felt the need to go back.

Has there been a FF game where the running animations haven't been a little bit awkward?  :sun:

Offline G.Vash

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »
I haven't touched this game since it I put the 2-3 hours in :(
I WANT to go back and play it, but newer games keep coming out that I just have to get my hands on and put time on those, and because of the whole 'time' thing which has put me off a little I'm hesitant to go back.

I might do so though now knowing that you've waited until the 2nd day to complete that quest and still finished the game with ample time up your sleeve.
There was no way I wanted to get through half the game and find out that I've no time left to finish it after putting 20+hrs into it.

Offline Wales

• Holmgang Holmgang
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 02:43:06 PM »
Naw. I was apprehensive at first too, but it ended up being totally unwarranted.

Offline G.Vash

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 01:49:29 AM »
That's really good to hear then. I think I'll take another look at it once I finish South Park Stick of Truth :P